About DDCA Dance & Academic Scholarships
Every year, high school dance team seniors are invited to apply for the DDCA Dance & Academic Scholarships, a very high honor and long-standing tradition amongst Oregon dance teams. These scholarships can be used for both dance & academic pursuits. The number and dollar amount of the scholarships is determined by the DDCA Board of Directors, prior to the State Championships, and the scholarships will be paid directly to the institute after the student has been accepted and enrolled.
To be considered for a scholarship, dancers must submit applications to the DDCA based on the guidelines and criteria below. The DDCA Scholarship Committee receives numerous applications to review every year, so it is very important that dancers, coaches, & teachers carefully follow ALL of the directions on the application. Dance Scholarship applications are available after the Fall DDCA Membership Meeting (available online after November 1st) and Academic Scholarship Applications are available in January.
General DDCA Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Candidates must have Senior academic standing and be on track to graduate by June.
- Candidates must be a member of an Oregon high school dance team at the time of the OSAA State Championships.
- Team members may apply if all coaches affiliated with their team are members of the DDCA. That team must be an active member of the DDCA and participate in at least two sanctioned competitions during the year, or compete at the OSAA State Championships.
Academic Scholarship Requirements
- Candidates must have a GPA of 3.75 or higher.
- Applicants will be evaluated on two recommendations, seventh semester transcripts or equivalent, an essay, and the intent to be enrolled in a college/university in the following Fall.
- Academic Scholarship Selection Process: Based on the above information and weighed 70% for academic ability, and 30% personal characteristics.
Dance Scholarship Requirements
- Candidates must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- A medical release form must be submitted at the time of auditions. The release form will be provided to qualified applicants after the submission of their application.
- An adult school representative or parent must accompany the applicant to the dance audition.
- Applicants will be evaluated on two recommendations, sixth semester transcripts or equivalent, and a dance audition.
Dance Scholarship Auditions
In addition to submitting an application, dancers applying for a DDCA Dance Scholarship must also participate in a classroom dance audition. The Dance Scholarship Auditions are held in January, usually during the Martin Luther King, Jr holiday weekend. At the Dance Auditions, dancers will be taught and judged by expert dance instructors in the areas of Ballet, Contemporary, & Jazz. Dance Scholarship Applicants are evaluated on the Audition Routine (10%), Applicant Statement (10%), Recommendations (10%), Academics (10%), as well as Extra Curricular, Honors & Leadership (10%).
2018 DDCA Dance Scholarships
The 2018 Dance Scholarship Auditions will be held on Monday, January 15, 2018 at Milwaukie High School. Applications are due and must be postmarked by December 15, 2017. For more details about the event and venue, please visit the DDCA Calendar.
Dance Audition info & medical release forms are available on the website for coaches only (this is per membership request last year). This is not intended to be passed along to the dancers that have applied for this scholarship, as the committee is still filtering through the applications. Each applicant will be followed up individually. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the DDCA Scholarship Director, Jan Phaigh. The medical release form will be sent upon the DDCA Scholarship Committee receiving the application.
2018 Dance Scholarship Application – Closed as of December 15th 2017
Mail All Applications to:
DDCA Scholarship Committee
4736 Royal Avenue #120
Eugene, OR 97402
DDCA Scholarship Recipients
The Academic & Dance Scholarship recipients are announced at the OSAA State Championships in March. Each recipient is invited to the floor and presented with an engraved scholarship plaque. The actual scholarships are awarded and paid directly to the institution of choice, after the recipient has been accepted and enrolled. Scholarships can be used for dance or academic pursuits – specific guidelines apply to the use of dance scholarship monies at dance studios (contact the DDCA for details). Scholarship recipients must request the award in writing to the DDCA Treasurer prior to January 15th of the following academic year. Scholarship monies are designed to be distributed by January 31. Any uncollected scholarship monies will be returned to the scholarship pool.
Giving Back – Volunteering at the Junior Championships
In an effort to support our DDCA Scholarship Fund we would like to ask that any recipients of these scholarships to donate a few hours of their time working at the Oregon Junior Dance Team Championships held in early April. Over the past few years the Junior Championships have made it possible for the DDCA to award several additional scholarships to our outgoing seniors. Giving back to this event would be greatly appreciated. Information regarding this event will be sent to each recipient. For more information, please visit the Junior Championships Event Page.
Donate to the DDCA Scholarship Fund
The DDCA works very hard throughout the year to collect donations for the DDCA Scholarship fund and awards as many scholarships, in the greatest amount, as the fund will allow for deserving applicants each year. If you would like to help in this effort and contribute to the DDCA Scholarship Fund, please make a donation at a local DDCA sanctioned dance competition or contact the DDCA Board for donation options.
DDCA Scholar Athlete Program
The DDCA Scholar Athlete Program recognizes seniors with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher who are currently a member of a dance team, and meet OSAA guidelines for eligibility. The GPA should reflect the 7th semester cumulative GPA. Four year team membership is not required. These athletes are listed in the State Competition programs.